Become a Power Boat Instructor
Powerboat instructor Course
(£495 inc the skills assessment day)
Interested in taking your powerboating a little further? Want to pass on your knowledge to others? Why not consider becoming an RYA Powerboat Instructor in 4 days?
Day 1 – Powerboat Instructor Skills Assessment day £100 per person
This is a day on the water and in the classroom where we assess your ability both on and off the water. We are not trying to catch you out but just to make sure that your powerboating skills are at the level required to attend the actual course.
Days 2 to 4 – Powerboat Instructor Course £395 per person
During the course you will cover, the principles of practical instruction, lesson planning, teaching styles, use of questioning, preparation and use of visual aids, assessment of students; learning, explanation and presentation of theory subjects, the structure of the scheme, planning progressive teaching sessions, preparation of boats and equipment, teaching methods up to RYA Powerboat level 2.
The three day course is taught by a RYA Powerboat Trainer and is moderated on the final day by a second RYA Powerboat Trainer.To attend the course you must:
- Hold the RYA Powerboat Level 2
- Successfully complete Powerboat Instructor Skills Assessment
- Have at least five season’s experience of powerboating, preferably in a range of boat types and sizes. For those who use powerboats as an integral part of their full time occupation, then this period is reduced to one season.
- Hold a Valid First Aid certificate (A full list of certificates recognised by the RYA can be found here)
- be an RYA Member
- Complete some pre-course work (a link to the pre-course work pack will be included in your booking confirmation email)
On successful completion of your course you will be asked to sign a health declaration stating that you are not suffering from any physical or mental impairment which has an adverse effect on your ability to properly discharge your duty of care as an instructor. If you are unable to sign the standard declaration, you will be required to complete this medical questionnaire.
- RYA Powerboat Logbook (G20)
- RYA Powerboat Instructor Handbook (G19)