RYA Powerboat Level 2 - from £245 per person
The RYA Powerboat Level 2 is a 2 day practical course aiming to give you the experience and confidence to handle a power boat in ‘familiar waters’ during the day. The Level 2 Certificate also lets you obtain the ‘ICC’ - (The International Certificate of Competence often needed if you want to drive or hire a powerboat abroad) by applying to the RYA.
NB No experience is necessary for this course and you do not have to have been on the RYA Powerboat Level 1 to attend
Over the 2 days we look at:
Launching and Recovering
Launching and recovering a boat from and onto a trailer using slipways. We look how we need to set up the boat prior to launching and potential problems that could arise. We show you how to recover a boat on to a trailer by both driving the boat on and winching the boat on - again we look at potential problems
Preparation of boat
What do we need on the boat before we go to sea. We check equipment like lines, fenders, anchor and warp, bailers, fire extinguisher, engine spares and tools, pump, paddles and oars, compass, flares, torch, whistle, charts, first aid kit; is the fuel tank full, do we have a spare full fuel container, does the radio work, is the GPS working.
Boat handling while under way - Steer then Gear, high speed maneuvers; trimming the engine correctly, planning, S turns, U turns, The Emergency Stop, Man over board and the J turn. Slow maneuvers - coming along side and parking the boat against a wall, jetty, pier and pontoon. Parking the boat in a marina, reversing, picking up a buoy and how winds and tides affect the slow maneuvers. We send some time looking at how we deal with potential emergencies. How we tow a boat. We will also spend time about different types of power boats. Passage planning and team work. And of course we teach you to navigate your way through the Swellies!
We spend some time looking at and understanding Charts and Compasses, we plan a passage, get a basic understanding of the Buoyage system, learn about tides and tidal streams, basic VHF radio handling (NB to use a VHF radio you do need a license - click here)
- 9am - Meet your instructor, Tea and Coffee while we discuss the day. Get kitted up.
- 9.30 - 11.30 Practical session with the boats
- 11.30 - 2pm Lunch and shore based sessions
- 2 - 5 pm Practical session with the boats
- 5 - 5.30pm Review of the day
- 9am Meet your instructor, Tea and Coffee while we review what we learnt yesterday and discuss how today will unfold. Get kitted up.
- 9.30 - 12 Practical session with the boats
- 12 - 2pm Lunch and shore based sessions (Passage Plan)
- 2 - 5 pm Practical session with the boats (Follow your passage plan)
- 5 - 5.30pm Review of the day and issue of Certificates
This Course available from Menai Bridge or Conwy Marina
RYA Powerboat Level 2
Click a date to Book