The aim of the 2 day Advanced Power Boat course is to teach boat handling, seamanship, pilotage and navigation up to the standards required to drive a powerboat safely by day and night in tidal coastal waters.
Participants on the Advanced Power Boat Course should be competent and ideally hold the RYA National Powerboat Certificate Level 2 (coastal) have a knowledge of navigation and chartwork to the level of the Day Skipper Shorebased Certificate. Participants should also ideally hold a First Aid Certificate and a VHF Operators Licence.
During the 2 days we cover:
Section A – Practical Boat Based
- Preparation for sea.
- Preparation of powerboat, fuel and engine checks, stowing and securing gear.
- Boat handling.
- Characteristics of various hull forms and propeller configuration, knowledge of action to be taken in rough weather, understanding correct use of power trims and trim tabs, effects of tide/wind when maneuvering including steering to transits, turning in tight confined spaces, berthing, picking up moorings etc.
- Passage making.
- Plans and pilotage for entry into or departure from harbour, use of leading and clearing lines, transits and sounding as an aid to pilotage, high speed navigation and GPS waypoint navigation.
- Night cruising.
- Powerboating at night, including entering and leaving harbour, special considerations for keeping a lookout and identifying marks by night.
Section B - Shorebased
- Sources of forecast information, interpretation of forecasts, terms used in shipping forecasts, including Beaufort Scale and their significance to small craft.
- Rules of the road.
- Use of engines. basic engine checks
- Emergency situations.
- Correct action to be taken in case of: fire, hull damage, medical emergency, VHF emergency, helicopter rescue, use of flares, man overboard and search. techniques
This Course available only from Menai Bridge
We have two training classrooms, one in Conwy and one in Menai Bridge. Courses are number dependent therefore if we have to swap the location of the course to suit tides/weather/numbers then this is part of the condition of booking. We will however do our best to keep the booking as booked.